The Kentucky RIVERKEEPER®
The Kentucky Riverkeeper was founded on the notion that we can find a way to restore the Kentucky River in the next decade by working with citizen coalitions throughout the watershed.
- Education: Sponsoring educational forums with a wide variety of constituents ranging from schools and communities to corporate and political leaders.
- Research/Monitoring: Developing strategies to identify and draw attention to pollution along the Kentucky River, using advanced GIS mapping systems and graphic presentations.
- Service Learning: Coordinating internships and service-learning opportunities for college students through EKU's Center for Appalachian Studies.
- Listening: responding to citizens complaints and providing a space where citizens, landowners and other stakeholders can devise constructive strategies to promote river restoration and maintenance.
- Advocacy: Serving as the voice and face of the river. The Riverkeeper is a visible and dynamic advocate for renewed efforts to restore and protect the Kentucky River and the communities that depend upon it.